3/18/11

the iconic pig - the pig of flesh and blood


















As I tried to explain
yesterday, I am interested in the complexity, many different perspectives. But maybe I could put it like this...


Before there was "one pig" in our mind, the animal with a twist of the tail, when it became really fat it was killed and eaten. When the piggy bank showed up it was initially quite similar to the "real  pig". You fattened it with coins and when you really needed you could break it and use the money (a bit like eating the slaughtered pig) a kind of entropy I think ...

Now they're both pretty far from each other and the pig of meat and blood are not part of our daily lives anymore. It has changed our way to breed pigs, or rather, have become many different ways to breed pigs (many types of pigs). To it comes the interest of the pig as a donor of organs for us on the one hand and on the other hand our idea of the pig as an unclean / dirty (both from a religious perspective, and more concrete).

Piggy bank has no longer such major function when we have credit cards and I see the shape as an icon for the pig. But the other day  Steve told that they have started to speculate in food on the stock market, perhaps it is the piggy in a new shape?
 

2 comments:

  1. http://www.agricultureandfood.se/Miljo_och_Klimat/~/media/agricultureandfood-se/Grisproduktion/Miljoe/Miljoe.ashx

    "danska grisars miljöpåverkan"

    ReplyDelete
  2. tack! o vet du hur man öppnar en .ashx?

    ReplyDelete